Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's raining cats and dogs! Or puppies at least.....

Little dude fell off the roof and bent the cartilidge in his rib and injured his foot. But's that's not all of it. I shall begin at the beginning.....

Friday morning Andrew and I packed up all the beach stuff we needed for a night, the 4 puppies, their massive kennel, and Gidget and headed to Dillon Beach for the night because every year my family has a huge Thanksgiving feast at their trailer and all kinds of people come from far and wide and it's a blast. It's about an hour and a half trip from our house and the bastard puppies will whine the entire way if you don't have the A/C on full blast (they get hot when they're stuck together in their kennel) so I froze to death the whole way there. Andrew was fine since he had Gidget on his lap the entire time as there was no room for her in the back seat. We really need a bigger car. But anyway, about 20 mins from the beach one of the puppies went poop in the kennel and oh my god I've never smelt anything so bad in my life before! But there was nothing we could do but suffer and drive faster until we got there. We were there a couple hours before we headed off to dinner at Dinnuci's and we locked Gidget and the puppies up on the back patio to stay warm while we were gone.

*Side Note*

Now the way that Dillon's Beach is set up is that there's rows of old travel travelers that have been left there over the years and people buy them and build decks up around them and such and then people like my parents and grandparents buy the trailer and everything around it but they have to rent the land from the greedy bastards that run the place. They are pretty large (ours has an actual bedroom and a sliding glass door) but there's no electricity and everything runs off of solar power or propane. Ours has a heater with a theromsat, a telephone line, and a large TV antenna. Not everyone is that equiped but everyone has hot water and a gas refridgerator and usually a stove/oven. My dad built this massive enclosed back patio with a storage room, a wood stove, another oven for outdoor cooking and a sink. There's a picnic table back there for the cold morning and nights when you want to visit with everyone but you want to stay nice and toasty (the trailer itself is way to cramped for visiting with guests). Outside there is a regular deck with another picnic table and a stair case that goes to the row of trailers behind us. There's two levels and we're on the bottom level. My dad's assigned boat parking is behind our trailer on the upper level so he built a staircase for easy access. Also, since the trailers all used to be on wheels they do not sit on the ground and there is about a foot of space under each one. If you don't block them off completely critters like to make their homes under there. So I hope that's enough of mental picture of the upcoming story....

So we get home from dinner and let Gidget out to go potty and to run about a bit. No sooner does she get out the front gate and in front of my grandpa's trailer (right next door to ourse) but a damned skunk comes sauntering out and skunks Gidget right in the face! Andrew had to run up to the local store and buy tomato juice, simple green, and dish washing liquid to try and get the smell out of her! After about a 45 min bath she finally acceptable enough to be allowed near other humans again. No sooner had we started bathing her but some friends of ours that have a trailer on the other side of my grandpa come over and ask who set the skunk off. Apparently it went off while they were eating dinner inside their trailer with all their windows open. Whoops. Personally I feel that the people who own the beach should do something about the skunk problem but that's a whole 'nother issue. Finally we get Gidget all dried off and warmed up and we hit the sack.

About 6 am the bastard puppies wake up and they are screaming bloody hell. About 6:30 I decide I can't take it anymore I let them outside and I put them in the blocked off pen area my dad fashioned for them the day before. My mom wakes up before the sun so she came out to visit with me when she heard me out shuffling around. About 7 we hear one of the puppies straight up shrieking. We ran to pen and 3 of the 4 puppies were missing..... Only little Cocoa was left. The bastards had climbed up the steps that my dad had built to access the boat and they were playing on the roof of my grandpa's back patio! The one we call Little Shadow because he looks like his grandpa had fallen off the side of the trailer between my grandpa's back patio and his neighbor's trailer! Nobody saw him fall so we don't know how he fell or what he landed on but Andrew kept claiming he broke a rib. Nobody else could see or feel it and he was acting ok so we let it go a bit. About 20 mins later he starting limping and sitting weird so I picked him up and poked and prodded him a bit and he didn't even twitch. We thought for sure if he was broken he'd jump when I ran my hands over his ribs. Nothing. Little dude fell asleep in my lap and all was well with the world until he woke up and wanted down. I put him down and I could instantly see what I thought was the bone sticking out. His little fur was all ruffled strange around it and you could see it clear as day. So Andrew and I rushed him to a 24/7 vet hospital in Rohnert Park and they did full body x-rays on him. $420 later we found out that he doesn't have any broken bones, no interal bleeding, and no bruised lungs. He had some cartilidge that got bent out of shape and that's what we were feeling and seeing. He also had a very sore foot but all and all he's fine! Thank god! They said that within 24 hours he should start acting like a normal puppy again and sure enough as soon as we got home he started rough housing with his brothers. If nothing else he sure proved to everyone that he is definitely his grandfater reincarnated :)

2 comments:

Carina said...

now you will have to sell that one for more!
but wow that is crazy! I have never been there before so i don't understand how the pup got on the roof but wow! It is a good thing the puppy was okay in the end. they are very mischievous.
So when are you take me to dillon beach I think you said you were :P I want to see it

Arlene said...

Wow, what a crazy time you guys had! Poor puppy :-(