Sunday, October 14, 2007

2 shotguns and camo gear

So we get home last night and our damned front door was open AGAIN because it hasn't been latching. Andrew got pissed and decided that he was going to fix it right then and there and he took off to Osh to get some supplies and then he was headed off to his shop to fabricate a new latch thingy. I got tired of waiting for him so I put Gidget in her kennel with her babies and I went to bed. About 11:30 I was awakened to the sound of a helicopter flying about 3 feet away from my roof. Andrew had came in the bedroom about that time to tell me that he had just finished the door and he heard the chopper too. I made a comment to him that it must be life flight and they must be landing nearby. Andrew took a peek outside and commented that the chopper was circling the area with it's flood light on. Uh-Oh. Life flight doesn't do that shit. I immediately became scared to death and Andrew grabbed his gun and went outside to get Gidget and let her back in the house. We huddled in the living room with our police scanner which is a piece of shit trying to figure out what the F was going on. We only live about 1/2 - 3/4 mile from the county jail and we thought for sure someone had broken out and they were looking for him. Now I wasn't scared because I thought a hardened criminal was on the loose, Yolo County only houses druggies and the occasional wife beater or drunkard. We only get like one murder a year maybe. What I was scared about is the possibility of seeing or hearing some guy running through my backyard or hiding on the side of my house or anything else that's equally as scary. I kind of thought that if dude was smart enough to get out of jail he would be smart enough NOT to run down the highly lit and highly used Gibson road that runs behind my house but you just never know. After about a 1/2 hour the chopper stopped and we never did hear anything on the POS scanner so we hit the sack. Today my grandma informs me that some dude managed to get into the mall and hide out while they closed down and sometime around 11 pm he was picked up on survelience cruising the mall in camoflauge while packing two rifles. Problem is that only one freaking house and a wall seperates me from said mall. I can literally hear the a/c on the mall running from my front yard. SCARY. Of course nothing came of it 'cause, well, this is Woodland and we just don't have a ton of serious crime but STILL. It's just scary to think about the crazy people in this world and it's scary knowing that we are never safe, no matter how many locks or cameras or security measures we take. The idea of bringing kids into this mess scares the crap out of me.

1 comment:

Carina said...

wow, what a night! I would be scared too! Actually when i lived in orland our next door neighbor fired off a rifle and then ran. It was on labor day so all the cops from the river came to our street.
There is always stupid people doing stupid stuff :/