Thursday, February 14, 2008

Things On The Road Thursday!!!!

Brought to us by Barnmouse!

This baby was right outside my office making my participation in Things On The Road Thursday almost too easy for me. So how many of y'all can say that your city has a Dead Cat Alley?


I looked high and low on the internet to find the true history of Dead Cat Alley but I couldn't find it anyway so you'll get the version that I remember:


Nobody knows the true origin on the name Dead Cat Alley but there are a few spectulations. In the 1800's when the Land of Wood was being founded the alley was inhabited by Chinese immigrants who ran various businesses and probably a few opium dens. They all lived in shacks in horrible conditions. Some say that Dead Cat alley got it's name because when the city started renovated the alley they found all kinds of cat bones with hack marks in them, insinuating that the Chinese immigrants who occupied the area ate the cats. Others say that the alley was overrun with rats and the residents put out poison for the rats which the cats ended up eating or they ate the poisoned rats thus causing cats to drop dead left and right. Historical documents say the name was around long before the Chinese immigrants but nobody knows for sure.


In any case it's pretty unique to say the least. One of the best BBQ places in town (and one of my personal favorite restaurants) has claim to the address 666 Dead Cat Alley. It's said to be haunted which wouldn't surprise me as it's right smack next door to the historic Opera House which is haunted by a fire fighter that died in there during a fire (it's true, I found it in a book about haunted houses all over the state).


Did you play?


And just because it's valentines day - look what the boy sent me:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! That is the best TRT Yet! Dead Cat Alley??? That's just plain ol' awesome! If Things on the Road Thursday was graded, this would be an A+, with possible extra credit. I'm surprised no one has stolen the sign. LOL

Carina said...

aw, how cute roses. I was hoping for some but just got chocolates instead.

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious.

Ugh. I told the Boyfriend to stop sending me roses on Valentine's because before the weekend they were already dead. I can't keep anything alive.