Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Poke Cake

Andrew's birthday Poke Cake turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. Especially since I had no idea what the hell I was doing. Basically you make a cake and the stab it with a knife when it comes out of the oven. Then you mix up some jello with cold water only and pour it over the cake. I could swear that most of my jello was running off the side of the cake and not getting into the cake but when I cut it I realized that some had sank in after all! After you pour the jello over it you put it in the fridge for an hour or so and voila! Poke cake. I decorated Andrew's with cool whip at his request which I colored pink since it's still Valentines day month. I tried to write "happy birthday Andrew" but I quickly realized I was running low on gel so he got "happy b-day A" instead. He didn't care. Here's the finished product. Keep in mind I'm nowhere near a professional cake decorator:

You can see here how the jello that ran off the cake formed around the cakes on the plate. Luckily on the big cake I used a pretty red plate and you can't see it :)

Here's what a poke cake looks like when you cut into it. You can see the jello!

And here's Andrew - filthy because he insisted on doing a side job on his birthday with Gidget trying to see what all the commotion is about.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some ladies I used to work with would make the cake and then pour strawberry soda in it and put it in the refrigerator. It was great.

Carina said...

gidget wants to eat the cake. :p That looks like a good cake! yummy.

Shelli said...

MMMMmmm that looks yummy dammit i want cake!

Fightin' Mad Mary said...

I love poke cake, especially with lemon jello!