Sunday, December 2, 2007

Bad Panhandlers and Puppies

I was walking out of the mall today with my hands full of very heavy bags and a lady wearing sweatpants and a big jacket with a pastic bag in her hand and a kid and old lady at her side asked me if I was willing to make a donation to something (I wasn't really listening as I could tell from the get go they were panhandlers). I turned her down for a multitude of reasons. First of all, if you're going to ask for money on the streets don't involve your kid and your mom. That's just wrong. Second of all, don't cruise the parking lots carrying your newest purchase with you as you go. Third of all, be honest. If you need money for whatever reason just tell people you need money. Don't try to talk them into making a donation to some non existent cause while wearing your pj's and huge winter jacket. Get a cardboard sign and sit at the entrance like every other bum in town. Fourthly, my hands were about to break off and there's no way I was going to stop my hustle to the car for such an un original attempt at getting other people's money. Now I'm not one to automatically say no to all panhandlers. There are days when I will give them a couple bucks and I'm always willing to pour my change into those salvation army collection bins. That lady just didn't do it for me.

Speaking of the salvation army bell dingers..... They set up shop at the post office. BASTARDS. I go there 6 days a week. There's no way I can afford that so now I have to feel guilty everytime I walk by and don't donate. Especially when the bell dinger smiles at me and says hello.

So we're down to just one puppy to sell. It's cuddle bug, the one I considered keeping for a second. Boy am I glad I didn't! The little bastard is a barker and he has waaaaay too much energy. I've been letting him in the house because I have to let Cocoa learn how to be a house dog and it's just not fair to make him stay outside but I'll tell you what - he's a handful. Within 20 mins today he shit by the door, ran around the house with my kitchen floor mat, chewed on the back of my pants while I was trying to unload the groceries, chewed on the paper towells I bought, and tried to drag Cocoa around by her neck. I booted the puppies back outside and now I can hear his bastard ass barking. It's freaking wonderful considering that we just called the sheriff to do a welfare check on the consistent barker next door. Now they'll have reason to retailiate. Oh how I love neighbors.

So the sheriff that did the welfare check on the dog next door said he's fine. Granted he has no shelter from the 36 degree nights, no food, and no water but he's fine. I guess our dogs are treated as royalty then if that's fine. The sheriff did say that they've been called out to that house quite a few times in concern for that dog. Hmm... and you haven't gotten the hint yet? At least write the idiots a ticket for a barking dog. It's the least you can do. Now other dogs on the block bark as well (including mine!) but this is a non stop, consistent, I'm-freezing--lonely-and-hungry bark. I'm just waiting for the day when I come home from work and find his ass snuggled up in our backyard on one of the puppies blankets (they have two out back) under the heat lamp munching away on the puppy kibble!

2 comments:

Carina said...

I don't usually give money to people like that or the people with the cardboard. I saw this thing on the news about all the money they get and they actually don't need the money. I know that is not all of them. but I don't know which ones are real and which ones aren't but I do give to salvation army.

My cat sounds like your puppies but downgraded. she chews on my pants and claws them and she finds receipts and takes the all over the house and she meows when she wants attention or out but she is still cute and fun.

Anonymous said...

Ya know I was gonna say "I'll take the puppy" and then you said he shit by the door and that just did it for me. Came to my senses. You almost had me though.

The beggers around here are ruthless but recently our Mayor cracked down on it by giving the shelters money to help. I have to say it's actually worked.