Sunday, January 13, 2008

Bridal Show and other boring stuff

So last week was hell. My old partner moved on to a different department and my new partner started at the counter with me. It would have been ok except that my boss took off on vacation and never delegated my old partners work out so I got stuck with it. We'd known that she was transferring for a good month now but for some reason my boss didn't think it was important enough to figure out how to switch the work load around. It was loosely decided that I would take on her work and someone else would inherit mine but nothing was ever set in stone and she left and the boss went on a 3 week vacation. NICE. So my inbox was absolutely out of control as I tried to do my work, do her work, help people at the counter, and train my new partner. Finally the lead clerk said that they were going to pass my work off to another clerk but she had to catch up on her work first. Well her work just kept piling up so nothing ever happened. Why they chose the particular clerk they did to take on my work is beyond me. She's already got her hands full with the juveniles and the CHP citations (which is the biggest ticket issuing agency in Yolo County) and there's another perfectly smart, competant clerk who doesn't have anything to do. Horribly stupid decision if you ask me. I inquired as to why they had decided it like that but of course the answer was "because that's what we decided." I HATE those kinds of answers! They preach to us about being a team and all that crap but then they just arbitrarily make decisions that are obviously not going to work and they don't open it up for discussion. So as of Friday I still had all my work on top of everything else. My new partner was going a little crazy too because the boss never gave her an answer as to what to do with her agency when she moved up to the counter. Us counter people don't enter the citations because we have customers all day long as opposed to the phone clerks who only answer phones for 3-4 hours a day, 3 weeks of the month (they take turns having one week off of phones to catch up on work). So my partner just asked another clerk to handle her citations until the boss comes back from her 3 week vacation and makes a decision. Luckily my new partner is well liked and the boss won't care if she takes it upon herself to delegate her work. If I did that they'd find a reason why it was horrible, they'd make me take it back, and then a week later they'd make the same decision on their own. But I'm not going at being teacher's pet since I ask too many questions and make suggestions instead of just sitting back and accepting whatever random decision the bosses make. Oh well. OH, and I forgot to mention that my boss wants me to start doing small claims now so she showed me one example and then left on vacation. I hope she didn't expect me to actually do any small claims when she was gone because I'd never make it through it.



So at the end of that horribly, rant worthy week I got to go to a Bridal show in Sacramento where I stole some good ideas from local vendors who I'll never hire. I just go, steal the ideas, and then do it myself :) I did make an appointment with a wholesale florist for next Saturday so that was somewhat productive. They sell you the flowers at a discount and then you make your own arrangements. That has been our plan all along as my cousin (the maid of honor) used to be a florist and she can make them for me. Plus we're using gerbera daisies that don't require much arranging so it should be a piece of cake. Speaking of cake, how cute is this idea? Cupcakes that are decorated to look like gerbera daisies? I love it! I would post a picture but my computer is being and asshole and claims I don't have an internet connection. GRRRR....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow! What a week! Sheesh!

We used daisies in our arrangements for our wedding (as they are my very most favoritest flower!!!) and they looked beautiful! Good choice!! :)

Carina said...

ugh, sorry about your work. It seems like everyone I talk to is having a hard time at work lately. But that sucks that your boss left for 3 weeks without any order...

I can't wait to see everything at your wedding I bet it is going to be so beautiful!